Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Oooo, that smell

I've been smelling gas in the laundry room off and on for a couple of weeks now. Not all the time, not even every day. Hubby didn't think it smelled like gas, but it freaked me out enough to call the gas company to come out.

We have an electric washer & dryer, so we knew it couldn't be that, although there is a gas hub thingy back there. No readings of a gas leak back there. In the garage? No. Even if you have an electric stove, there is probably a gas hub thingy back there too. Let's look behind your stove.

GASP!!! I probably sucked all the air out of the room when I did that! Now, I'm a pretty good housekeeper. I can't stand clutter and I like it clean. However...how often do we pull out our stoves to clean? How often in our busy lives do we think about the places that we can't see???

Of course, I was horrified! "Oh my God, I'm so embarrassed!"

"Hey, it happens ALL THE TIME. My house too!"

Lucky for me, he had to go check other areas in the house, maybe on purpose, so I had time to get out the vacuum, cleaner, scrubber, mop, and a knife (no, I'm not kidding) to scrape off something that had dripped down the side of the stove against the counter! By the time he got back in the kitchen the stove sparkled, the floor shone where the stove had been, and it felt like a breath of fresh air, like I had been breathing all that dirt or something. Yuck!

After he left, no gas leak anywhere by the way, I had Hubby pull out the refrigerator too. No way I was going to have a glich with the fridge and have someone come over and pull that out too! Aarrg! Nasty!

I just pass this along to save many of you the same horrific embarrassment that I experienced this morning. No whining! You've been warned! Ha!

8 comments:

Cynthia L. H. said...

I've been warned. But at this point, it will take you coming to my house to get that done around here. ;^) ;^) ;^0
P.S. Word verification: "ficiation" ... so appropriate with the talk about gas and asphyxiation. At least you just had a ficiation situation and not the other kind...(the reason I'm glad I don't have a gas-stove....)

septembermom said...

I've been there, unfortunately. When we had a big ant problem in our kitchen, the guy pulled out my stove to my horror. Huge mess. Thanks for reminding me to try and get behind some of those big appliances and see what is going on.

Anonymous said...

We helped to repair a drier at the RSPCA the other day, now THERE is some dirt!!! The vacuum cleaner filled in about 10 seconds! and there was still another 4 or so fills to go!

the kitschen table said...

Just saying....women have a more sensitive nose for gas than men. Or so said the gas man who came to our house to find the little gas leak that I could smell but he and husband could not.He said he would not leave until he found it because if the woman of the house smells gas, he said, he believes her. And he found it.

Anonymous said...

I remember when I used to spend hours cleaning. These days-- not so much.

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

LOL, girl that has happened to me before. Luckily, I'm sure that repairmen have seen much worse than yours and mine!! But still, it is kind of embarrassing isn't it?
Glad you didn't have a gas leak though......

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Scriptor Senex said...

I don't even want to think about it! Last time I decoarated the kitchen I promised myself I'd clean behind things once a quarter. Haven't done and it's two years now....

Kim said...

THAT is hysterical!!!! I would have been embarrassed too! But seriously, who cleans behind there {on a regular basis!?}

Thanks for the laugh!

Flora & Fauna

Books I have known & loved

  • Life of Pi
  • A Hundred Years of Solitude
  • Kite Runner
  • The Way the Crow Flies
  • Fall on Your Knees
  • Poisonwood Bible
  • East of Eden
  • Shantaram
  • I Know This Much is True

Illegal Immigration