Friday, April 17, 2009

Friday High Five

Angela, over at Angela's Adventures and Minor Mishaps, is hosting Friday High Five. Mosey on over and you can link up to join in. It's all about listing 5 things, anything, have fun!

Here's my list of 5 words that I happen to like. I'm not sayin' they are my absolute favorite words, but I like them all the same.


5. ubiquitous yoo-bik-wi-tuh –adjective
existing or being everywhere, esp. at the same time; omnipresent: ubiquitous fog; ubiquitous little ants.
My kids are probably rolling their eyes at this one. I implemented a "word of the day" when they were younger, and they had to come up with a sentence using it by dinner time. So mean! Ha!

4. Diaphanous dahy-af-uh-nuh s
Variously described as meaning "so thin as to transmit light; sheer; transparent or semi- transparent; or filmy and floating".

3.Ethereal i-theer-ee-uh l –adjective
light, airy, or tenuous: an ethereal world created through the poetic imagination.
extremely delicate or refined: ethereal beauty.
heavenly or celestial: gone to his ethereal home.
of or pertaining to the upper regions of space.
Chemistry. pertaining to, containing, or resembling ethyl ether.

2. Veracity vuh-ras-i-tee –noun, plural -ties
habitual observance of truth in speech or statement; truthfulness: He was not noted for his veracity.
conformity to truth or fact; accuracy: to question the veracity of his account.
correctness or accuracy, as of the senses or of a scientific instrument.
something veracious; a truth.

1. Love
a word I use as often as I can, but probably not as often as I should!

4 comments:

septembermom said...

Great word choices! I love the sound of ethereal. I want to start using "ubiquitous" here and there. May impress a couple of people with that one!

Angela said...

I will also try to use "ubiquitous" but probably not by dinner! That cracks me up that you did that with the kids! #1 is also my favorite ~ good choice! Have a great weekend. Thank you for joining and I hope to see you again next week!

A Woman Of No Importance said...

I love all the words you have chosen here - Definitely some of my favourites - Although I don't use veracity that often... Ethereal and Ubiquitous are just so sweet on the lips...

Great stuff!

Jenners said...

Hi! Stopped by to visit and read about five posts (totally jealous of your backyard, share your blogging addiction, quit on the chocolate -- too much math) and now here I am. I did a post almost exactly like this a while back! Great minds work alike. I like your choices very much! : )

Flora & Fauna

Books I have known & loved

  • Life of Pi
  • A Hundred Years of Solitude
  • Kite Runner
  • The Way the Crow Flies
  • Fall on Your Knees
  • Poisonwood Bible
  • East of Eden
  • Shantaram
  • I Know This Much is True

Illegal Immigration