Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Wind


The wind can be relentless here in the fall and spring. I've written before about being on the periphery of storm systems that blow through to the north of us, creating some pretty crazy wind.

Laying in bed in the middle of the night, listening to the wind howl outside, I often think about the indians that surely roamed this territory. Although I think they probably looked for sheltered areas to camp, I doubt that they escaped much of the elements.

Imagine your teepee being whipped around, and pelted with a downpour of lashing rain. Cracks of thunder that feel like they could split you in two. I never really gave much thought to what that must have been like, until we moved here. I may have to do some research about that. It seems pretty fascinating to me now.

8 comments:

a girl said...

I enjoy seeing these sunflowers. Thanks for brightening up my day!! :)

Heather said...

I like these moments of thought...

Your comment on Grace's picture made me laugh...loved it.

Anonymous said...

wonderful pic....and your thoughts, love them, it really painted a picture....beautiful

Unknown said...

exactly! so the history lesson we had going to an early Pioneers fort was fascinating, right here in my own back yard almost!

septembermom said...

That is definitely one of my favorite photos of yours :) So pretty.

Cynthia L. H. said...

Beautiful.
;^)
...and a profound thought....

GB said...

I confess that this is sheer speculation but I would think that those who lived so close to nature accepted it, understood it and found a way to live with it. We, on the other hand, try to ignore it or even conquer it.

septembermom said...

That is a very interesting thought. It must have been difficult to deal with volatile Mother Nature when living with such little protective shelter. I think it is a good subject to research.

The black and white photo is great.

Flora & Fauna

Books I have known & loved

  • Life of Pi
  • A Hundred Years of Solitude
  • Kite Runner
  • The Way the Crow Flies
  • Fall on Your Knees
  • Poisonwood Bible
  • East of Eden
  • Shantaram
  • I Know This Much is True

Illegal Immigration