Saturday, January 24, 2009

After two cloudy, grey, gloomy days (very unusual here) we finally got a bit of rain! Not rain, rain. But wet all the same. I know. What's the big deal, right? I'm a pisces. I'm a fish. And I grew up on the coast, i.e. fog, rain. When we do get a bit of sprinkle, I sometimes go out and stand in it, raise my face to it, breath it in, try to plump up my dehydrated soul.

And LOOK! Look what I found happening right out in my own backyard!

Yes, people, my wild violet is blooming! Oh the future is surely full of promise and possibilities!

If you have never smelled a wild violet, you owe it to yourself to experience a sweetness like you've never known. Here are some other pictures off Wikipedia of the Viola odorata.



This file is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License

Okay, mine don't look like that right now, but it will this spring. Let's face it, we've had a couple of hard freezes and hairy creatures out there. No, not tarantulas, they are only out in the summer. The dogs, my friends. And yes, despite that thought, I did stick my nose down in the middle of that plant, and was rewarded with an olfactory slice of heaven.

This wonderful plant will spread in time, and although it looks quite delicate, it is not. In my youth we had gobs of it in our yard. When I would go out to water, I was so careful to put the hose under the leaves so the leaves and flowers were not forced to the ground. Silly girl.

Have a wonderful day!

2 comments:

pam said...

My backyard is filled with violets, I absolutely love them. Of course, there is no sign of them right now. They are such a sweet old-fashioned flower.

Scriptor Senex said...

When one wanders around other people's blogs it is so easy to say - gosh, I wish I had their weather or view or I wish I lived there - or whatever. but then someone like you sensiobly reminds us of what we have and would miss if we were elsewhere. I have some violets (or will in Spring) - you have just made me a bit more gratetful for what I have - thanks very much, ShabbyGirl.

Flora & Fauna

Books I have known & loved

  • Life of Pi
  • A Hundred Years of Solitude
  • Kite Runner
  • The Way the Crow Flies
  • Fall on Your Knees
  • Poisonwood Bible
  • East of Eden
  • Shantaram
  • I Know This Much is True

Illegal Immigration