Friday, February 19, 2010

FRIDAY SHOOTOUT

This week is all about our Town Plaza, suggested by Redlan.

My town was incorporated in 1956. It's a military town, and up until about 15 years ago, it was pretty small. The population today is only 40,000. But even during the six years we've lived here, we've seen the town spread out, new houses popping up like mushrooms, and "traffic" come to our streets and highways. The town is nestled up against the Huachuca mountains (thunder mountain).






We don't really have a town plaza, per se, but most any large gathering will happen here, in the park.




Fairly often we have small carnivals come to town and this area is filled with colorful spinning rides, popcorn, and cotton candy. Every summer this area holds Art in the Park, a large gathering of artisans selling their arts and crafts.



The big indoor swimming pool is actively used all year round. Even during the summer, it has to be inside because of the lightening storms of the monsoon season.



When the weather warms a bit, the park will be full of families, having picnics, birthday parties with bounce houses, and sounds of people laughing. It looks pretty dead and dry right now, but it "lushes" up very nicely during the summer. And no matter which way you look, is a wonderful view of the mountains.


That's all I've got for my town plaza! Please visit here for more Town Plazas around the world.
Have a wonderful weekend!!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a pretty and quaint town;)

NanU said...

If I'm ever in your town, I'm taking my rabbit and heading right for that swingset.
Nice Shootout!

Heather said...

Aye- the monsoon season....we don't have one of those, it's more like the SNOW seasonS :) hahaha

Unknown said...

I love small.....small is good, small can be very GRAND, people know people and while driving down the road when you lift your finger off the steering wheel while passing another driver, it is a good sign. Sign of being small....love your town! Love mine too, but miss my smaller one....

septembermom said...

That's an interesting glimpse of your town. Love the wide open sky.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

I would imagine that there are lots of army parades. Such a new town would have lots of amenities that old towns haven't.

Pauline said...

I really like you place. I like the feeling of space in all your photos. And all wrapped up in those beautiful mountains!

GB said...

I like the feeling of space and the proximity of the mountains. Hmm. It looks like a 'comfortable' town.

Jama said...

I like the 4th photo best, it looks so peaceful and serene here.

Irish Gumbo said...

Beautiful, really dig those mountains. And I think my father-in-law may have been stationed near there, many many years ago! Small world :)

spiritsoflena said...

I really liked that second to last shot with the mountains in the background.

GingerV said...

so many of us get hung up on the word and forget the concept - this is exactly the concept - I haven't seen a shopping plaza yet... I am surprised because the food court in a mall is a modern day meet and greet place for our young people.
anyway - have a great weekend.

Flora & Fauna

Books I have known & loved

  • Life of Pi
  • A Hundred Years of Solitude
  • Kite Runner
  • The Way the Crow Flies
  • Fall on Your Knees
  • Poisonwood Bible
  • East of Eden
  • Shantaram
  • I Know This Much is True

Illegal Immigration