Thursday, February 12, 2009

Louie Louie

Anybody out there remember the song Louie Louie by The Kingsmen from back in the day? Hubby & I were talking about the song yesterday. A friend looked it up online and found out there are over 1000 versions listed on The Almost-Complete Louie Louie Discography!

The list of people or bands that have let this song rip is quite varied and sometimes really funny. Imagine Tiny Tim singing it! Ha! He did backstage in Santa Cruz! Or how about Barry White! Think about that one! Neil Young (telephone version). I have no idea either. Dave Matthews? Yep. Otis Redding. Yep. Get this! David McCallum??? Man from UNCLE? That one cracked me up too. Okay, maybe it's not the same person, but maybe it is!

Did any of us really know the words back then? I sure didn't, but it sounded wild and I liked that.


The band attracted nationwide attention when "Louie Louie" was banned by the governor of Indiana, Matthew E. Welsh, and attracted the attention of the FBI because of alleged indecent lyrics in the Kingsmen's version of the song. The lyrics were, in fact, innocuous, but Ely's baffling enunciation permitted teenage fans and concerned parents alike to imagine the most scandalous obscenities. All of this attention only made the song more popular.

So here at last, the lyrics for Louie Louie. Not so wild and crazy after all. Now that's funny.

CHORUS:
Louie Louie, oh no
Me gotta go
Aye-yi-yi-yi,
I saidLouie Louie, oh baby
Me gotta go

Fine little girl waits for me
Catch a ship across the sea
Sail that ship about, all alone
Never know if I make it home

CHORUS

Three nights and days I sail the sea
Think of girl, constantly
On that ship, I dream she's there
I smell the rose in her hair.

CHORUS

Okay, let's give it to 'em, right now!

GUITAR SOLO

See Jamaica, the moon above
It won't be long, me see me love
Take her in my arms again
Tell her I'll never leave again

CHORUS

Let's take it on outa here now
Let's go!!

No comments:

Flora & Fauna

Books I have known & loved

  • Life of Pi
  • A Hundred Years of Solitude
  • Kite Runner
  • The Way the Crow Flies
  • Fall on Your Knees
  • Poisonwood Bible
  • East of Eden
  • Shantaram
  • I Know This Much is True

Illegal Immigration