Monday, October 12, 2009

Monday

Oh my. We have had quite the exciting day today. No, really!
However, I'm saving it for All God's Creatures Sunday. No begging. You'll just have to wait.
My wildlife experiences seem to be at an all time high right now.

I will tell you though, that last week we had an up close and personal encounter with a centipede wriggling across the livingroom carpet! What the??? Relax, I am not going to post a picture of him (although I have one).

When the pest guy came the next day (coincidentally) we had quite the discussion about them. Here's what I learned:
1. Although they have what look like pinchers on their tail end, they don't sting, or pinch...they bite!
2. The pinchers on the tail end are false legs, not pinchers, only there to confuse their enemies. Those false legs will become real legs as they grow.
3. If you are really sensitive...don't read this part! Sometimes, when people get bitten, their legs will grab on to you, and in some instances, people have had to go to the emergency room to remove them.

Now, I don't tell you these things to freak you out. I don't. I just remember seeing one as a kid, and kind of playing with one with a stick. What did I know?

I hope you all had a centipedelessly wonderful Monday!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

GAAAAAAHH!!!

I don't know what's worse, spiders or centipedes.

OMG, the legs can stick in you?!?!!

UGH.

shabby girl said...

I warned you girlfriend!!! Narly, huh?

I mean really, who was the *@#!&^* brain surgeon that decided to inhabitate this area??? Sheesh!

Max-e said...

Funny you should say you hoped we would have a centipedelessly wonderful Monday Shabby Girl.
We must have had our experiences at about the same time - you did prompt me to blog about it.
BTW no problem about doing a link to my site.
Have a great and centipedelessly wonderful Tuesday

Heather said...

Eeeeeeeeeeeekkk! We have little bitsy millipede thingy's here in VT but I don't think that they can harm you. Now, I wonder ?!

Dan Felstead said...

Shabbygirl...years from now...as I look back on my "blogging" period...I will always remember you and your creepy critter photos and stories! And today is another to go down in the record books!

Dan

septembermom said...

Thanks for the info. Who knows what critter my boys will try to pick up?

Graham Edwards said...

I learned from a someone who was in Brazil as a child that if you strike a match and put it on a bug which is biting you and won't let go then it does when the hot match head is applied. Thought I'd mention it just in case!

pam said...

OMG. I hate centipedes. Seriously hate them!

Flora & Fauna

Books I have known & loved

  • Life of Pi
  • A Hundred Years of Solitude
  • Kite Runner
  • The Way the Crow Flies
  • Fall on Your Knees
  • Poisonwood Bible
  • East of Eden
  • Shantaram
  • I Know This Much is True

Illegal Immigration