Thursday, November 19, 2009

Friday My Town Shootout

This weeks theme, My Town's Premier Attaction, is brought to you by Kent . This is truly a great theme. All towns are known for something. Should be fascinating!!

Let's see. My towns Premier Attraction. Well, there's the fort.

I've mentioned Fort Huachuca in a couple of posts before. This is where intelligence training happens for all branches of the military. The fort employs 13,000 civilians, and is really the only reason why this town exists. This is a military town, and we're very proud of all of the people who serve to protect our freedoms.

Another "attraction" of my town is this:

Sierra Vista, Arizona, was the first city to have a McDonald's drive-through. It first opened its window on January 24, 1975, to be able to quickly feed many of the soldiers coming from Fort Huachuca, a military base located adjacent to the city. (from Wickipedia)

Then, of course, we are the Hummingbird capital of the United States! We're on a migratory path for these little creatures that can travel thousands of miles every year.



Have a wonderful weekend!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for the look around. it must be fantastic to see all the hummingbirds. how exciting!! I love hummingbirds and they are so hard to photograph. great job!! have a great weekend!!

GingerV said...

my father was a reservist for years, I remember him going to this base every summer for two weeks - wonder what he was doing in intelligence? - your blog is always a trip down memory lane.

Suburban Girl said...

That is so interesting about the McD's drive thru. Learn something new everyday! I would love to see all those hummingbirds, good for you for catching a photo of one.

pam said...

Hummingbird capital of the US! That is so cool!

RedLan said...

Another great post. I learned something about your two trivia. Thanks for sharing the info and the great photos of the hummingbird, the mc do and the fort Huachuca. I cant wait to be back here next FSO.

Scriptor Senex said...

I'm not the envious sort but have always been jealous of your Hummingbirds - definitely your area's key attraction for me.

Irish Gumbo said...

Small world! My father-in-law was stationed at Fort Huachuca many years ago...for intelligence work training.


(Shabby: Thank you for your comment on "Running Lights". That dream? Yes, terrible/wonderful.)

Heather said...

The very first McDonald's drive through??? Cool!!

~JarieLyn~ said...

I love your shot of the hummingbird. It's interesting that your town is the home of the first Drive Thru McDonalds.

septembermom said...

That was interesting. Hooray for hummingbirds. Such miracles of nature.

kent.. said...

World's first drive through? Hmmm. I wonder if anyone has ever re-thought that one through? Like I said in the intro to this week, every town is known for something, which is true especially for the little towns. This will help me out in the trivia department! Thanks for the pics!

Flora & Fauna

Books I have known & loved

  • Life of Pi
  • A Hundred Years of Solitude
  • Kite Runner
  • The Way the Crow Flies
  • Fall on Your Knees
  • Poisonwood Bible
  • East of Eden
  • Shantaram
  • I Know This Much is True

Illegal Immigration